Local News

  • Fire Run

    No fire

    Hodgenville Fire Department responded to a report of a possible explosion and structure fire at 10 p.m. Jan. 10 on Miami Court. The homeowner later reported a shelf had fallen off the wall.

  • House damaged by utility room fire

    The home of Edna Mae Owens was damaged Jan. 15 by a fire that began in a utility room.

    Hodgenville, LaRue, Buffalo and Magnolia firefighters were dispatched to a brick house on North Summit Avenue about 8:20 p.m.

    Hodgenville Fire Chief Wally Sparks said the utility room – containing washer, dryer and electric panel – was reached by going outside the main house. The room was extensively damaged; however, the main house escaped most of the smoke and water damage.

    “There was some damage in the kitchen area,” said Sparks.

  • New gear on the way for city firefighters

    When Hodgenville Fire Chief Wally Sparks and other volunteer firefighters for the city responded to a house fire last week, they were wearing “borrowed” gear from LaRue County. Although he has been chief since 2011, “LCFD” is lettered on the back of his jacket.

    That could be a thing of the past as City Council has agreed to invest in purchasing turnout gear for the department. Nine sets of turnout gear – which includes helmet, gloves, pants and boots – will cost $23,341. Five air packs will boost the total to $36,341.

  • PHOTO: Struck guardrail


  • Band of Hawks plan 60th reunion

     January 23 will mark not only this year’s LaRue County High School’s basketball homecoming, but also the 60th anniversary reunion of the LaRue County Band of Hawks.

    Price Smith, a former Band of Hawks tuba player, current board of education member, and LaRue County Farm Bureau agency manager, is coordinating the reunion with the band’s executive committee members Jerry Lawler, president; Michael Zahrndt, first vice president; Amy Litton, second vice president; Rhonda Smith, treasurer; and Andrea Ross, secretary.

  • UPDATE: LIFTED BOIL WATER ADVISORY: Water line break on Miami Court


    The boil water advisory was lifted at 2:45 p.m. Friday.


    Thursday: City of Hodgenville workers are dealing with a water line break on Miami Court. There is some disruption of service to that area.

    A boil water advisory has been issued. For more information, call City Hall at 270-358-3832.

  • Words hurt: Bardstown middle-schooler endured months of harassment

    Reagan Carter was supposed to start at a new school this week.

    The seventh-grader at Bardstown Middle hoped to escape a group of older girls who had bullied and harassed her online and at school, her parents say. Transferring seemed their only choice to end the harassment after reports to school officials didn’t stop the problems.

    But the night before her last day, Reagan took a handful of pills after she was harassed one last time during a middle school basketball game.

  • Gas leak shuts down roadway

     South Lincoln Boulevard near LaRue County High School is being closed Tuesday afternoon due to a gas leak at a nearby business.

    Use caution in the area.

  • Year in Review: A look back at the highlights of 2014
  • Cold weather tips

    Freezing weather predicted over the next few days is a good reminder to prepare for winter. Frozen pipes are the second most common cause of home insurance claims in the U.S. according to the Insurance Information Institute.

    Pipes that are either inadequately insulated or exposed to outside temperatures can freeze, rupture, and cause costly damage.

    The nonprofit Federal Alliance for Safe Homes recommends the following six inexpensive tips to ensure your home is well insulated. These steps will protect your home, save energy, and save you money too.