.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Features

  • The Ragland name is one that you hear often in LaRue County. But few people know how deep those roots grow.

    Gideon Ragland relocated to Center Point, what is now Magnolia from Virginia in December 1808. He purchased 1,000 acres of land for $1,000 partly with monies from a Revolutionary War grant. This was the same month that Thomas Lincoln purchased the farm at Sinking Springs, mere months before the birth of Abraham Lincoln.

  • The 1947 Magnolia Majors basketball team was the first team in LaRue County to compete at the state Sweet 16 tournament.

    Players were Charles Read, Bill Lemons, J.D. Avery, Stuart Pepper, Coleman Miller, Charles Ward, Donald Mather, Hobart Bowen, Johnny Catlett (manager), Darnall McCubbin, Kenneth Bell, and Coach W.L. “The Fox” Reed.

    “We had a really great team that year. There were very few guys in our high school but our team was very, very good,” said Charlene Akin, a freshman and cheerleader for the team.

  • For most of its history, education has been an important part of the Magnolia community.

    The community’s first school was built in 1847, followed by two more schools built on surrounding farms.

    Magnolia College was built in 1879-80. Citizens of the town raised money to help build a brick building which was first designated the “Classical and Normal College.”

    The building burned May 31, 1894, according to the June 7, 1894 edition of The Herald News.

  • Tucked away in the country, without a sign to let travelers know they are passing through it, lies Lyons Station – or Lyons as it’s referred to by locals. 

  • Athertonville, a small town located between Hodgenville and New Haven, was once known as the home of several distilleries.

    Many local residents earned their livelihood at the distilleries, which historians believe cropped up in the late 1700s. The waters of nearby Knob Creek were thought to give the liquor an extra bite.

    Thomas Lincoln, the father of Abraham Lincoln, is believed to have worked at a distillery owned by Wattie Boone, a relative of pioneer Daniel Boone.

  • Leather bound, plastic covered and hand bound – books of all shapes, sizes, colors, and content add color to the New Haven Public Library, a branch of the Nelson County Public Library.

    The new branch location opened on May 6, 2012, and has helped rekindle the community’s interest in reading.

    Formerly located on South Main Street, the library had been confined to a one-room building that limited resources and the number of literacy materials offered to the public for 20 years.

  •  The Rolling Fork is a 108-mile-long river that forms the border between LaRue and Nelson counties. It’s part of the Salt River Basin, and the larger Ohio River Basin.

  • Wooooooooo! Wooo! Wooooooooo!

  • On the cold morning of Dec. 30, 1862, a Civil War skirmish occurred outside New Haven.

    As hundreds of horse hooves trampled the ground, three companies of the 9th Kentucky Calvary for the Confederate States of America readied to meet Union forces, complete with more than 200 mounted cavalry and a 12 pound Mountain Howitzer canon.

    The CSA commanding general John Hunt Morgan had assigned the three companies with the task of destroying the Rolling Fork Bridge that the L&N railroad line utilized outside New Haven.

  • One of the railway boxcars at the Kentucky Railway Museum has an interesting history.

  • Justine Dennis, of New Haven, calls herself a fiber artist, and continues learning about her style of sewing she invented about 20 years ago, called Torsion Sewing.

    “As far as I know, nobody else does the same thing and it’s all done on the sewing machine,” she said.

    She added that many artist and gallery owners have told her that her style is unique and that they’ve never seen anything like it before.

  • You can find almost anything on the Internet.

  • One of Lyons Station’s most famous landmarks is visible for a few weeks each winter.

  • Two crosses have long stood at the edge of the Rolling Fork River near the LaRue/Nelson County line.

  • In 1779, according to an article in the local newspaper dated 1894, a group of five settlers were led from Boonesboro by Daniel Boone to a spot in LaRue County then known as Cave Spring near Middle Creek, now known as Roanoke. Some sources refer to the location as the Union Church area.

    There they built a small fort around the spring and then Boone, accompanied by men named Cartwright and Neal, returned to Boonesboro to bring back the families of the five men. Left to hold the fort and their claim on the land were three men named Walters, Hart and Dunn.

  • Joel Ray’s Restaurant in Hodgenville celebrates its 54th anniversary this weekend.

    Joel Ray Sprowls bought the restaurant June 6, 1959, and for 14 years it operated on a 24-hour, seven days a week schedule. Several Grand Ole Opry superstars have dined there, including Faron Young, Tammy Wynette, Bill Monroe, Englebert Humperdink and the Johnny Cash Band.

  • Blossoms of all shapes and sizes, entwined with rock patterns greet traveling cars and bicyclists on a short section of Howardstown Road.

    The landscaping outside the home of Anne and Murrell Smith, has caused many a driver to stop in their tracks or ease slowly down the road to soak in all the beautiful colors and handiwork.

    Anne, the master landscape artist, has worked on the project for four years.