.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Features

  • Members of Hardin County Playhouse believe life beyond our planet is likely.

    Whether they believe it will arrive on Earth in a manner that in any way resembles its latest production is another matter.

    Man-eating alien plants, ’50s and ’60s rhythm and blues, a Greek chorus and a skid row flower shop are some of the elements woven into the storyline of “Little Shop of Horrors.” The HCP production opens tonight at Plum Alley Theater in the Historic State Theater complex in Elizabethtown.

  • The Kentucky Legislature in 1918 made it unlawful for anyone to buy, bargain, sell, loan, have in possession, or to operate or aid, abet, or encourage in the operation, or to harbor a person in the possession or in the operation of an illicit or “moonshine” still.

    This was known as Prohibition – a “social experiment” that lasted about 10 years.

    Violating the law could lead to fines of $50 to $500 or imprisonment of up to six months. Second offenders could spend up to five years in jail.

  • The community of Creal is about a mile from Mount Sherman and just over the Green County line on Ky. 61.

    According to Kentucky Place Names, it’s located on the Tom Bill Branch of Brush Creek. It was named for a prominent early Green and Russell County family.

    Its post office was in operation from 1883 to 1919 and was called Dezarn for the family of its first postmaster, Elisha Dezarn, according to the Register of the United States.

  • Long before electric instruments and microphones became popular in music, an acoustic country band from Mount Sherman, The Lincoln Serenaders, claimed fame performing in area schools and at social functions.

    The five-man band consisted of Clyde F. Benningfield (“Short Clyde” to differentiate him from longtime Mount Sherman businessman and postmaster Clyde R. Benningfield), Hal Jones Childress, brothers Floyd and Wayne Hill, and Ray Warren.

  • There are plenty of talented athletes but few make the jump to professional sports.

    One of Mount Sherman’s own made waves in pro baseball in the 1920s.
    Herman S. “Hi” Bell, was born July 16, 1897, to Nathaniel and Martha Ann Holthouser Bell.

    Nathaniel, also known as “Nathan,” was the eldest son of Moses Thomas and Elizabeth Anderson Bell. He was a 20-year-old farmer at the time of his marriage in 1891 to 17-year-old “Mattie.”

  • At the turn of the century, an area near Mount Sherman became known as “dog gallus” or “dog gallows.”

    The story, as told by Gary Gardner, goes .... a group of young men had imbibed some “liquid corn refreshment,” near the Old Sherman Cemetery. Their entertainment for the evening was to shut up for good an old howling hound dog by hanging it from one of the boys’s pair of galluses or suspenders. The name stuck and for many years, residents of the area would say, “I’m going home to Dog Gallus.”
     

  • Local historians believe Mount Sherman was named after Major General William Tecumseh Sherman, one of the Union’s military leaders during the Civil War.

    No one seems to be certain, however, just why the small town opted to recognize one of the most notorious generals of the war.

    Sherman was promoted to brigadier general after the Battle of First Manassas and sent to Kentucky. President Abraham Lincoln thought Sherman could keep the state from seceding. Sherman made a statement that the war would not end quickly and was replaced by Don Carlos Buell.

  • During the 1950s to 1970s, a small dry goods store in Mount Sherman provided LaRue and surrounding counties with boots and blue jeans. “Benningfield’s” or better known as “Clyde’s” – named after proprietor Clyde Benningfield – sold the first Levi’s in the area.

  • E.S. Ferrill shared this information about his grandfather, William Ferrill. (The story was found on a genealogical website.)

    William Ferrill came to LaRue County (then Kentucky County, Virginia), from Culpepper, Va., in 1788. He came when a very small child with his mother, a young widow.

    His mother’s brothers, John and James Howell, accompanied them on horseback.

  • In LaRue County’s history, there have been few entrepreneurs to match Edward Stanton Ferrill.

    Ferrill, the grandfather of Linda Back of Hodgenville, turned a small drugstore in Buffalo into a booming wholesale business during a time when almost every other business was struggling or going belly-up.

    The secret to his success? He never went into a new venture until he had the cash saved to start it.

    “E.S.” as he was known, was born Feb. 19, 1862, to Henry and Mary Jane Ray Ferrill. He was raised on a farm on the Rolling Fork River.

  • The Buffalo Elementary School’s gym has a history that reaches back to the 1800s when it was built not as a gymnasium, but as an academic wing of East Lynn College, which longtime Buffalo resident John T. Meers said originally opened in 1860.


    “The original structure was T-shaped and what is now the gym contained classrooms which the college used,” Meers said. “When they separated the two buildings, they moved a section that became a lunchroom on the bottom floor and Masonic and Eastern Star lodge above, and the other part became a gym.”