.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Features

  • Charles Simms III, chief circuit judge for LaRue, Nelson and Hart Counties, is an alumnus of Saint Ann’s School in Howardstown.

    Simms attended the small school in 6th, 7th and 8th grades. He attended Saint Catherine’s in New Haven for grades 1-5.

    He called his time at Saint Ann’s “a wonderful experience.”

    There were five other students in his 8th grade class: Anna Bowling, Jerry Mouser, Scott Johnson, Joey Holcomb and Archie Spalding. They got to know each other well.

  • The Louisville Archdiocese website http://www.archlou.org provides background on Saint Ann’s Catholic Church in Howardstown.

    It reads:
    Before a Catholic church was built in Howardstown, priests coming from Hodgenville would swim or wade the Rolling Fork River to celebrate Mass in private homes. The first Saint Ann Church was erected between 1862 and 1865 on the site of the present cemetery, and the first school was built nearby.

  • As a light breeze wisps through the dark green leaves of the trees in the rolling knobs of Howardstown, a schoolgirl skips up to and peeks around the corner of a small white building.

    It appears to be a house. But when the girl, in her khaki pants and navy polo, opens one of the bright blue doors, you’ll see classrooms and students inside. The building is one of the oldest schools in the area – Saint Ann’s.

  • Members of Hardin County Playhouse believe life beyond our planet is likely.

    Whether they believe it will arrive on Earth in a manner that in any way resembles its latest production is another matter.

    Man-eating alien plants, ’50s and ’60s rhythm and blues, a Greek chorus and a skid row flower shop are some of the elements woven into the storyline of “Little Shop of Horrors.” The HCP production opens tonight at Plum Alley Theater in the Historic State Theater complex in Elizabethtown.

  • The Kentucky Legislature in 1918 made it unlawful for anyone to buy, bargain, sell, loan, have in possession, or to operate or aid, abet, or encourage in the operation, or to harbor a person in the possession or in the operation of an illicit or “moonshine” still.

    This was known as Prohibition – a “social experiment” that lasted about 10 years.

    Violating the law could lead to fines of $50 to $500 or imprisonment of up to six months. Second offenders could spend up to five years in jail.

  • The community of Creal is about a mile from Mount Sherman and just over the Green County line on Ky. 61.

    According to Kentucky Place Names, it’s located on the Tom Bill Branch of Brush Creek. It was named for a prominent early Green and Russell County family.

    Its post office was in operation from 1883 to 1919 and was called Dezarn for the family of its first postmaster, Elisha Dezarn, according to the Register of the United States.

  • Long before electric instruments and microphones became popular in music, an acoustic country band from Mount Sherman, The Lincoln Serenaders, claimed fame performing in area schools and at social functions.

    The five-man band consisted of Clyde F. Benningfield (“Short Clyde” to differentiate him from longtime Mount Sherman businessman and postmaster Clyde R. Benningfield), Hal Jones Childress, brothers Floyd and Wayne Hill, and Ray Warren.

  • There are plenty of talented athletes but few make the jump to professional sports.

    One of Mount Sherman’s own made waves in pro baseball in the 1920s.
    Herman S. “Hi” Bell, was born July 16, 1897, to Nathaniel and Martha Ann Holthouser Bell.

    Nathaniel, also known as “Nathan,” was the eldest son of Moses Thomas and Elizabeth Anderson Bell. He was a 20-year-old farmer at the time of his marriage in 1891 to 17-year-old “Mattie.”

  • At the turn of the century, an area near Mount Sherman became known as “dog gallus” or “dog gallows.”

    The story, as told by Gary Gardner, goes .... a group of young men had imbibed some “liquid corn refreshment,” near the Old Sherman Cemetery. Their entertainment for the evening was to shut up for good an old howling hound dog by hanging it from one of the boys’s pair of galluses or suspenders. The name stuck and for many years, residents of the area would say, “I’m going home to Dog Gallus.”
     

  • Local historians believe Mount Sherman was named after Major General William Tecumseh Sherman, one of the Union’s military leaders during the Civil War.

    No one seems to be certain, however, just why the small town opted to recognize one of the most notorious generals of the war.

    Sherman was promoted to brigadier general after the Battle of First Manassas and sent to Kentucky. President Abraham Lincoln thought Sherman could keep the state from seceding. Sherman made a statement that the war would not end quickly and was replaced by Don Carlos Buell.

  • During the 1950s to 1970s, a small dry goods store in Mount Sherman provided LaRue and surrounding counties with boots and blue jeans. “Benningfield’s” or better known as “Clyde’s” – named after proprietor Clyde Benningfield – sold the first Levi’s in the area.

  • E.S. Ferrill shared this information about his grandfather, William Ferrill. (The story was found on a genealogical website.)

    William Ferrill came to LaRue County (then Kentucky County, Virginia), from Culpepper, Va., in 1788. He came when a very small child with his mother, a young widow.

    His mother’s brothers, John and James Howell, accompanied them on horseback.