.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • HOWARDSTOWN; Homestead Family Farms receives environmental certification for 4th year

    Homestead Family Farms was recently awarded Environmental Certification by Validus for their commitment to environmental cropland stewardship.

    “We’re very pleased to be receiving this recognition again this year,” said Aaron Reding, Homestead Family Farms. “This is our fourth year of recognition and we are excited about what the certification has provided us.”

  • HOWARDSTOWN; Howardstown Homecoming: 35 years of family

    The 35th annual Howardstown Homecoming was held Aug. 4 at Saint Ann’s Church.

    The popular event started in 1978 with picnic on the grounds. Now, second and third generations of Howardstown families are enjoying the festivities.

    “The grounds were filled with a lot of people this year,” said Lois Cecil, principal at Saint Ann’s School.

  • HOWARDSTOWN; Looking back at Howardstown
  • HOWARDSTOWN; F.M. Head store was local hot spot

    At one time small towns had one or two major stores to supply food and other supplies. These stores often were the central “hot spot” for visiting with neighbors and sharing a bit of gossip.

    For Howardstown, the local hot spot was the old F.M. Head store.

    Also called the Howardstown Grocery, Howard Brother’s store, and Head’s Grocery, the business was established in 1875 by Joe Howard, the founder of Howardstown.

  • HOWARDSTOWN; Small church bands together for 157 years

    Union Band Baptist Church outside Howardstown was established in 1856 by members of the Stiles family.

    The original church building was located on a hill near to where the church is now. According to Herbie “Herb” Stevenson, former pastor of UBBC, “lightning hit it and they had to rebuild.”

    The white frame building was completed in 1924. It has double entry doors used to separate the genders. Men used the right door; women used the left.

    The building is surrounded by six acres but the congregation once owned several more acres.

  • HOWARDSTOWN; Boone Boys
  • HOWARDSTOWN; Three-room school produces circuit judge

    Charles Simms III, chief circuit judge for LaRue, Nelson and Hart Counties, is an alumnus of Saint Ann’s School in Howardstown.

    Simms attended the small school in 6th, 7th and 8th grades. He attended Saint Catherine’s in New Haven for grades 1-5.

    He called his time at Saint Ann’s “a wonderful experience.”

    There were five other students in his 8th grade class: Anna Bowling, Jerry Mouser, Scott Johnson, Joey Holcomb and Archie Spalding. They got to know each other well.

  • HOWARDSTOWN; Saint Ann's organized in 1862

    The Louisville Archdiocese website http://www.archlou.org provides background on Saint Ann’s Catholic Church in Howardstown.

    It reads:
    Before a Catholic church was built in Howardstown, priests coming from Hodgenville would swim or wade the Rolling Fork River to celebrate Mass in private homes. The first Saint Ann Church was erected between 1862 and 1865 on the site of the present cemetery, and the first school was built nearby.

  • HOWARDSTOWN; Saint Ann's School a fixture since 1862

    As a light breeze wisps through the dark green leaves of the trees in the rolling knobs of Howardstown, a schoolgirl skips up to and peeks around the corner of a small white building.

    It appears to be a house. But when the girl, in her khaki pants and navy polo, opens one of the bright blue doors, you’ll see classrooms and students inside. The building is one of the oldest schools in the area – Saint Ann’s.

  • Buffalo’s Village Post Office has grand opening: Buffalo Post Office still closed due to spider infestation

    The opening of a Village Post Office in Buffalo does not reflect on the future of the Buffalo Post Office, according to the U.S. Postal Service.

    The post office has been closed since July 5 due to a brown recluse spider infestation. Since then, residents have been able to pick up their mail in post office boxes at Y Not Stop, a convenience store at 2202 Greensburg Road.