A fire gutted a house Saturday night on Riggs Street in Upton, leaving it in ruins.
Upton Fire Chief Froman Peters said the fire appeared to have started near or in the electric panel box of the older house.
“The studs the electrical box was mounted on were black to the floor,” Peters said, noting the burn pattern pointed to the box as the origin.
Peters said the occupant told him a breaker was causing trouble for the last few days before the fire started.
Peters said the initial alarm came in around 6:15 p.m.