.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • President grants Beshear’s request for a major disaster declaration

    Gov. Steve Beshear received word Thursday from the White House that President Barack Obama has granted the governor’s request for a major disaster declaration for Kentucky, following the devastating winter storm that has paralyzed parts of the state and left hundreds of thousands of Kentuckians without electricity, water and heat.

  • Crews still working around clock to restore power

     

    Heavy ice has knocked out power lines throughout LaRue County and much of Kentucky. A state of emergency has been declared. According to a news release from the governor's office, 607,000 Kentuckians were without power for much of last week. It is being called the largest blackout in Kentucky history.

    According to a Nolin RECC spokesperson, about 27,000 customers in LaRue and Hardin counties are without power and restoration is expected to take several days. Crews are working around the clock.

  • National Guardsmen bring supplies of food and water

    Individuals will not be reimbursed by FEMA for extra expenses incurred during last week’s ice storm. That’s the latest word from the Kentucky Division of Emergency Management.

    In a roundtable discussion with county judge-executives and mayors across the state Friday, Gen. John W. Heltzel, Director of Kentucky Emergency Management said counties can receive 75 percent reimbursement from FEMA for expenses directly related to the disaster. That includes overtime for workers, debris removal equipment and generators.

  • Demand for alternate heat sources outstrips supply

    Some local stores had to close their doors due to power outages during the ice storm; for others, business was booming.

    Rock and Rogers and IGA Express struggled to keep supplies of kerosene for those operating portable heaters. Long lines formed at the pumps as word leaked out about new shipments.

    Smith’s Hardware had a constant influx of customers asking for kerosene heaters and portable generators, said owner Steve Smith.

    “At times, I had to lay the phone off the hook,” Smith said. “If I took one call (Thursday), I took 80.”

  • Bicentennial plans shift after storm closes park

    The ice storm that hit Kentucky last week has created problems for the Lincoln Bicentennial celebration Feb. 12.

    The event, marking the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s birth near Hodgenville, was to be held at the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site and the Boyhood Home at Knob Creek.

    However, both sites have been closed since the limbs started falling Tuesday night.

  • Unemployment office cannot process electronic claims

    Due to weather conditions and power outages, the Elizabethtown (Hardin County) office of employment and training is unable to process electronic unemployment insurance claims at this time.

    Claimants may file initial or reopened unemployment insurance claims through the Call Center at (859) 547-3362 or online at www.kewes.ky.gov/. To file a new extended claim, they must file online.

    To request a check on a regular continued claim, claimants may call the Voice Response Unit at (866) 291-2926 or go online at www.kewes.ky.gov/.

  • Lincoln Bicentennial Events

    “I, too, am a Kentuckian”

    The Kentucky Life Special “Lincoln: I, too, am a Kentuckian,” will be broadcast at the Hodgenville Civic Center 7 p.m. Feb. 10. No admission charged.

    One Man’s Lincoln

  • More vandalism reported at Buffalo Cemetery

    Vandals struck Buffalo Cemetery last weekend, the second time in as many months.

    Eleven tombstones were knocked over and one was broken, said Gordon Connor, volunteer director for the cemetery board. Ten of the markers dated from the late 1880s; one was from the 1950s.

    The cemetery is bordered by KY 61 and Brooks Road in Buffalo.

    In December, vandals desecrated 23 markers – damaging some and taking items from others. Most of the destruction occurred at the rear of the cemetery.

  • Herald News receives 12 awards

    LaRue County Herald News received 12 editorial awards from the Kentucky Press Association's Better Newspaper Contest. The prizes were awarded Friday night in Louisville at the conclusion of the annual convention.

    A first place honor was presented for best on-going or extended coverage of a story.

  • School Board votes 3-2 to extend superintendent’s contract

    Newly elected school board member Norbert Skees stepped into his role at his first meeting as a board member Jan. 20 by voicing several concerns and voting against extension of the superintendent’s contract.

    The board considered extending Superintendent Sam Sanders’ contract by one year, through June 30, 2013.

    Skees said he would not support the extension and the contract should expire when originally negotiated, in 2012, and that it might be to Sanders’ advantage to renegotiate the contract earlier.