.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Family loses home to fire

    Rodney and Magen Baird Thompson lost their East Leafdale Road home to a fire Thursday, Feb. 6.
    The flames broke out about 9:30 a.m. and the efforts of Buffalo, LaRue and Magnolia firefighters were hampered due to the freezing temperatures and slick roadways.
    The home was a loss, according to Buffalo Fire Chief Wendell Perkins. The fire was fully involved when the volunteers arrived – and the flames had burned through the roof and the center of the house. Rodney Thompson was asleep at home when the fire broke out and was wakened by the smoke.

  • Wild, wintry weather closes schools, snaps lines, endangers salt supply

     About 900 LaRue Countians were without electricity at the height of last week’s ice storm.

  • Magnolia man injured in crash on Lincoln Parkway

     A Magnolia man was injured in a two-vehicle crash about noon on Feb. 6.

  • Schools closed Monday

    LaRue County Schools are closed Monday, Feb. 10, due to icy road conditions.

  • Some areas experience flooding

    A flood advisory is in effect for the Boston area. Flooding is being reported in the Athertonville area.

  • Herald's delivery impacted by icy conditions

     Delivery drivers for The LaRue County Herald News have been hampered in some areas by icy roadways.

    They are doing their best to reach all our readers.

    If you do not receive your newspaper by Thursday, Feb. 6, please call our office at 270-358-3118.

    Thank you for your patience.

  • Tickets available for annual Lincoln Luncheon

    Lincoln Days, Inc. will celebrate the 205th birthday of Abraham Lincoln at its annual Lincoln Birthday lunch on Wednesday, Feb. 12.
    The luncheon will be noon to 1 p.m. at Ovesen Heights Baptist Church, 1604 Bardstown Road, Hodgenville.
    Tickets are $15 per person and can be purchased in advance at the Lincoln Museum, 66 Lincoln Square, Hodgenville. For more information, call 270-358-3163. Advanced ticket purchases are recommended. A limited number will be available at the door.

  • Magnolia family loses home to fire

    A Magnolia family lost their home to fire Jan. 28.
    Kenny and Theresa Gardner’s two-story farmhouse was a landmark on Hawkins Road. The original part of the structure was built in 1836, according to Kenny Gardner.
    The fire broke out just before midnight. Firefighters from Magnolia, LaRue County and Buffalo battled the blaze about four hours in frigid temperature.
    At least four family members were home when the fire started, said Magnolia Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Wolford, and all were able to safely leave the home.

  • Schools closed Thursday

    LaRue County Schools are closed Thursday due to icy conditions.

  • Bucksnort Longhunters present Century Market Fair

    This weekend, Pritchard Community Center will look more like 1814 than 2014.

    For 17 years, the Bucksnort Longhunters have presented an 18th Century Market Fair.

    The event brings those with interest from as far away as St. Louis, organizer and club member Danny Hill said.

    At the market, patrons can purchase items made in the same way they were in the 1800s, Hill said.

    Tanned leather, hides, blacksmith wares, clothing and many other items representing Kentucky’s frontier days will be for sale, he said.