Woman dies after cigarette lighter explodes

A Hodgenville woman died Saturday evening after a butane cigarette lighter blew up in her hand.

Helen Fields, 76, who lives in Landmark Apartments, was attempting to light a cigarette - and apparently tapped the lighter on a table. The lighter exploded, according to Deputy Coroner Brad Turner.

Fields' daughter, who was in an adjoining room, heard her mother striking the table and the explosion. She attempted to put out the flames, but was unsuccessful.

Fields was pronounced dead at the scene.

An autopsy is planned.