Joe Pearman and Sons are in the process of building their first above-ground storm shelter for a homeowner near Buffalo.
Linda Riley said her Greensburg Road home does not have a basement and she found the above-ground shelter to be a great alternative to digging under the house.
Pearman said the shelter is rated to withstand an F5 tornado. The shelter is 6 feet, 8 inches by 5 feet with 8-inch thick walls. The ceiling is constructed with concrete reinforced with steel rods from top to bottom. The footer goes down about 40 inches.
You can keep your kitchen cooler in the summer by using an outdoor grill more often to cook your family meals.
The following tips are from Dr. Gregg Rentfrow, UK College of Ag assistant Extension Professor in Meat Science, on the best cuts of meat for the outdoor grill and the importance of keeping your food safe throughout the grilling experience.
Lead poisoning is one of the most common and most preventable health problems, affecting children today. The CDC reports that 900,000 children in the United States between ages 1 and 5 have elevated levels of lead in their blood. The good news is – lead poisoning is entirely preventable.
Signs of lead poisoning are not always easy to see and symptoms may go unrecognized for some time. Because of this, children may be poisoned and not act or look sick. A simple blood test is the only way to find out if a child has lead poisoning.
Dustin Russell of Hodgenville has been accepted to the College of Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss.
Russell graduated with a bachelors in biological sciences from the University of Kentucky in 2006. Since graduation he has been working at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, as a technician in the ICU department and as a clinician’s assistant to Dr. Tom Riddle.
The South Fork Area Homemakers met June 16 at Sunrise Manor Nursing Home Day Care with vice-president Emogene Gardner presiding. Hostesses were the staff at Sunrise Manor Day Care.
Besides Gardner, members present were Virginia Allen, Janice Bowen, Ann E. Flanders, Louise Graber, Hazel Hodges, Mary Lois Hornback, Doris Jean Holleran, Norma Jean McDonald, Martha Owen, Clovis Johnson and Della Thomas.
The South Fork Area Homemaker Club is responsible for the Floral Hall at the County Fair 6:30-9:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday.
This year, the Kentucky Extension Homemakers Association presented a check for $55,818.93 to the UK Ovarian Cancer Research Program. The contribution this year was a significant milestone as the organization has contributed more than $1 million since the project began in 1977. KEHA paid tribute to Virginia McCandless, the health chairman who worked with physicians at UK to start the project in 1977 after she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.