- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Hodgenville Woman’s Club’s sixth annual Holiday Home Tour and Tasting Party will be Dec. 6.
The pre-tour tasting party starts at 2 p.m. at the clubhouse at 19 Lincoln Square and lasts until 3:30 p.m. Appetizers and desserts are prepared by the Woman’s Club members.
Four local homes will be featured on the tour, 2:30-5:30 p.m.
Greg and Felicia Harry and their children Hannah and Ethan are the third owners of the house at 204 S. Lincoln Blvd. Greg is the director of music at First Baptist Church and Felicia is a school counselor in Hardin County. The family moved into the house in 2005.
It was built by Judge Handley in 1915, but many may know it as the home of the late Nancy Goodin.
Each room is filled with rich detailed woodwork such as large pocket doors, a built in butler pantry, cabinets, tall ceilings and a beautiful staircase leading to a sleeping porch with drop down, hiding windows.
Costello and Conner
Martha and Don Costello and Nancy Conner have lived at 223 S. Greensburg St., also known as the Black house, since September 2006. Built in 1885 by Sen. David Highbaugh Smith, the house has undergone many upgrades and renovations.
Martha is a Woman’s Club member and loves cooking. She and Nancy are members of Buffalo Baptist Church and enjoy traveling, and gardening.
The house is listed on the National Historic Registry and boasts handmade shutters, an 1865 circa restored piano, original stained glass and high ceilings.
Each room will have a different theme such as a Victorian tree, doll tree and children’s tree.
David and Leslie Gibson and their daughter Victoria have lived at 202 College St. two years.
David is an independent contractor and Leslie is a dietitian.
The house was built in 1949 by Bob Sprowls and Melvin Crady for Berny and Addie Lane Morris. Many family members have helped with the remodeling and all the furniture was given by family members. Several pieces were made by Leslie’s father and grandfather showing the love and family commitment.
Larry and Sandy Bell have lived at 9500 Gleanings Road, New Hope, since their marriage in 1969.
Larry is LaRue County circuit court clerk and Sandy is secretary to Circuit Judge Charles C. Simms.
Their house was built in 1889 and is surrounded by 150 acres – “Landry Farm,” which means lover of the land. The home has the original hardwood floors and bay window. The house is full of antiques and many pieces of furniture that Larry has built.
Decorations include a traditional tree with hundreds of ornaments that were collected over a lifetime, a Victorian-style tree with angels and antique ornaments, a tree with rooster decorations and old world style ornaments, nativities scene, and snowmen and Santas are scattered throughout the house. The potting shed/playhouse also will be open for viewing.
Tickets are $10 and are available at the Lincoln Museum in Hodgenville in advance, from any Woman’s Club member or at the Woman’s Clubhouse at 2 p.m. on the day of the event. See ad on this page for a chance to win two free tickets.
The tour includes a recipe booklet of food served along with a description of the homes on tour.
Submitted by Jane Embry