Lady Hawks making progress despite low numbers, injuries

-A A +A

LaRue girls defeat Monroe County 6-1

By Charles Holloway

The Lady Hawks varsity soccer team won its first game of the season 6-1 Monday against Monroe County.

The team has struggled as it has been hampered by a small roster and injuries.

The team has 17 members – mostly underclassmen.

Seniors and leaders are Holly Crain, Audrey Large, Amber Lyall and Meagan Williams. Juniors are Britney Mack, Shelby Mouser and Justine Scroggins.  Sophomores are Mariah Higdon, Nancy Howell and Megan Smith. Freshmen are Kayla Rutledge and Kasey Wells. Eighth graders are Marissa Crosswhite, Abby Modrowski, Sydney Price, Kelsey Rutledge and Tristyn Sales. 

The regular season began with a 10-0 loss to perennial power Bardstown. The team regrouped against district foe Bullitt Central.

Bullitt Central has had a varsity program for 15 years; LaRue County has had a varsity program for three years.  Yet, the Lady Hawks battled to a 2-0 loss at home. The outcome was not decided until the final whistle. The two goals came in the first half, due to communication breakdowns. The second half was a display of missed opportunities and defense. Goalkeeper Lyall and defenders Crain, Williams, Scroggins and Wells made their mark on the ground and challenged the opponents. Meanwhile, Mouser, Howell and Smith peppered the goalmouth with shots.

The junior varsity team matched up against the opponent high schoolers and won 2-0. Price and Modrowski scored the goals as Sayles added the assists. Wells was the goalkeeper while Crosswhite and Rutledge supplied the defense.

The Ladies battled Barren County to a 3-3 draw – an improvement from last years’s 8-2 loss.

Howell and Smith displayed the offensive fireworks with scores and unselfish passing. The defense was manned by Lyall, who made six saves; none more valuable than the one she made in the final minute to preserve the draw.

Williams almost single-handedly defeated the opponents. She ran rampant across the field to intercept passes and return the ball to attackers. After being down almost the entire second half, with four minutes remaining, Mouser rocketed a shot into a narrow opening past the keeper and placed the ball into the net for the final tally of the match.

Saturday, LaRue fell to Louisville Southern 4-2. Playing with only nine players due to injuries against the opponent’s 11. Down 2-1 at halftime, LaRue came out with a blistering pace with eight shots on goal in the first 10 minutes of play. None found the back of the net, but the attackers kept peppering the goalmouth.

Mouser scored in the first half with a well-placed corner-kick to the far corner of the net. She was double-teamed and pummeled the rest of the match. That did not prevent her from finding open space and passing to her teammates. Then, with seven minutes remaining in the match, Smith received a corner kick from Williams and notched her second goal of the season.

Large and Mack played their best game to date, while Scroggins outran, outwit and outplayed the attackers to prevent further damage.

JV result

Traveling to Warren East, the junior varsity again struck down the opponents, 3-2. Price scored first, followed by Modrowski. Then, Sayles added the winning tally late in the second half of the match. These three passed among themselves and maintained possession against the older players.

These girls befuddled the defense and found the back of the net.

The attacking future of the Lady Hawks is securely cemented in this trio.