Hawks ruin Hart’s senior night

-A A +A
By Charles Holloway

It was a cool and misting night that the LaRue County High School boys soccer team met the Raiders of Hart County on the Raider football field. This was a first as no soccer team had ever played on this field.
Tension filled the air as the Hawks were going against a revised team with a new coach on a new field under lights. In previous seasons, Hart County was a patsy whom everybody scheduled for Senior Night. Unfortunately, this was the Raiders’ senior night. In the past, Hawks have spoiled many a senior night with a victory or a draw against a supposedly superior team. Sept. 8 was no exception.
The night opened with a junior varsity match. The two teams battled evenly for the first 20 minutes. Finally, the seventh graders solved the defense and tallied two scores.
Dalton Fay found an open Biscuit Hurt on the wing. Hurt maneuvered through three defenders and tapped the ball into the net. Three minutes later, Fay found Thomas Williams, who muscled past two defenders and blasted his score.
Not to be outdone, the older young Hawks worked their magic as freshman Alex Ramey passed the ball to a determined eighth grader Chase Watkins to put the game away with nine minutes remaining in the contest. The Raiders scored with less than a minute on the clock to ruin the shutout of great play by eighth grader Austin McCreery.
The Hawks outshot the Raiders, 13-3.
Senior Night: Excitement, emotions, memories and a determined resolve to win one for the seniors. Everything was in place, especially the determination of the home team. Physicality was evident and tensions rose.
Twelve minutes in, Hawk sophomore Curtis Milby, playing his best game to date, lofted a nice cross pass to junior Alex Cook, who deftly headed the ball into the net.
The two teams battled the rest of the half with no other score, although the Hawks had 24 shots on goal. Their senior keeper and captain wanted a victory badly.
The Hawks were equally determined to erase any doubt who owned this night. The Hawk defense played superbly as senior Shawn Hull put his team on his back, repelled all offensive movements by the opponents and inspired his teammates by his tireless efforts.  
Equally aggressive were juniors Austin Puryear and Brock James with sophomore Catfish Hurt, who allowed freshman Eli Royalty a relatively easy night in goal with only three saves and his second shutout in three games.
So determined was James to ensure victory that he took a deflected pass from Shawn Hull and dribbled the ball 50 yards past the defense and rifled a shot past a diving keeper.
The sails were deflating when, 10 minutes later, sophomore Kyle DeVary calmly lifted the ball into the far corner of the net over the outstretched hands of the keeper. This came after a pass from Cook.  
Cook scored twice more with assists from junior Marshall Metcalf and senior James Crosswhite.
Metcalf maneuvered around three defenders before he unselfishly dished the ball to Cook.
Cook took the last assist from James and rifled a bullet into the corner under a diving keeper.  
Substitutions were plentiful as every eligible player played in the match.  
9/11 remembrance
Before the match, the Hawks prayed for the victims of 9-11 and dedicated the match in their memory. Come out and show your support for your team in upcoming games. I guarantee victory with your support.
Happy birthday, my son and hero, Dave, on 9-11.