Fallen limb may have sparked fires at two homes

-A A +A
By Linda Ireland

 Local firefighters had their hands full Sunday as they worked a pair of house fires in Buffalo.

About 8:30 a.m., Buffalo Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire at 2016 Greensburg Road. 

The homeowner, Ilse Davis, said there was fire in the ductwork of the basement. 

A few minutes later, Charles Leonard notified firefighters that he smelled smoke at his home, directly across the road from the Davis residence.

Buffalo firefighters worked the first fire, according to Fire Chief Wendell Perkins. Magnolia and LaRue County firefighters tackled the second one. 

Fire destroyed “everything in a closet” at 2016 Greensburg Road; a section of ceiling was destroyed at 2019 Greensburg Road, Perkins said.

There was some water damage and a “smoky smell” in both homes.

Perkins said the fires appeared to have started around wiring – he wasn’t sure if it was the telephone wires or electrical wires. 

Representatives from Kentucky Utilities and South Central Rural Telephone Co-op were notified, Perkins said.

“I am told a tree limb came down onto our lines and caused them to short out,” said Cliff Feltham, spokesman for KU. “That’s a preliminary finding – it’s still under investigation.”

A South Central spokesperson did not return calls.