Emergency haying available for CRP participants

-A A +A

 The USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) announces the opportunity for Conservation Reserve Program participants to request authorization to conduct emergency haying or grazing on specific CRP acres. Authorization is based on a U.S. Drought Monitor designation of D0 higher for Hardin and LaRue Counties. Producers who are interested in applying for approval to conduct Emergency Haying or Grazing of CRP land located in Hardin and LaRue Counties must request and obtain individual written approval from FSA before any haying or grazing starts. Participants will be assessed a 10 percent payment reduction on their annual rental payment for the acres actually hayed or grazed.

Interested CRP participants are required to submit a request to FSA and obtain a modified conservation plan to hay and/or graze under emergency provisions. The same acres may not be hayed and grazed. Haying and grazing is not allowed within 120 feet of any stream or water body. Specified portions of each field or contiguous fields must be left or grazed with limited stock for wildlife purposes.

Emergency haying or grazing is restricted to specific practices that are 12 months past being determined as fully established by the agency. Introduced and permanent native grass practices enrolled under general CRP practice eligibility are among those eligible practices. Participants shall not start any haying or grazing activity until individual written approval is received for the CRP contract request. Approved haying authorization will end no later than Aug. 31 and grazing authorization will end no later than Sept. 30.

For more information and to request approval for emergency haying or grazing of CRP acres, call 765-2702.