.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Early morning fire destroys pallet recycling business

-A A +A

Five pieces of equipment also lost in fire

By Linda Ireland

A Hodgenville business owner woke early Friday, Dec. 18, to see his business go up in flames.

Previous
Play
Next

Tommy England, owner of Tom’s Pallet Recycling on Jericho Road, looked out the window of his home and spotted flames coming from his work building about 5 a.m.

“It was already too late (to save),” England said. “The flames were way up in the sky.”

The flames spread from the metal-sided building to the piles of wooden pallets surrounding it. By the time firefighters extinguished the blaze, the only thing left of the 100-feet by 60-feet workshop was a pile of twisted metal and smoldering ash.

He lost five pieces of equipment used in the repair of pallets. He said the property is insured but he is concerned about fulfilling his orders to customers.

England employs three part-time and five full-time workers. None of them had arrived at work when the flames broke out and no one was injured.

“I thank the Lord for that,” England said.

Firefighters from Buffalo, Magnolia and LaRue County responded. England was pleased with the response time and the firefighters’ efforts.

“I’ll say this, we’ve got a good fire department,” England said.

He thinks the fire was electrical in nature, but isn’t sure what caused it.