.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Barn destroyed in fire

-A A +A
By Linda Ireland

  Three fire departments battled a barn fire Saturday afternoon on Carter Brothers Road.

About 3 p.m., LaRue County Fire Department was dispatched to the fire. Buffalo and Valley Creek departments were sent as backup.

Lindon Nevins said he was helping his son work on a car in the barn. Some gasoline made contact with a heater inside the building “and that’s all it took.”

Nevins fought the fire before firefighters arrived, blistering his arm and singeing his hair.

“I wanted to get the welding tanks out,” he said.

A tractor was saved from the building. However, the car and the rest of the contents were a loss.

“Nobody was hurt – and that’s the main thing,” Nevins said.

The barn was about 20 feet from Nevins’ son’s house. Black smoke billowing from the building could be seen for several miles.

Firefighters cleared the scene about 5:30 p.m. after spraying the barn interior with foam.