Bar owner denies responsibility for death in civil lawsuit; Murder case is still pending

-A A +A

By Stephen Lega; Landmark News Service

The owner of the Raywick Bar and Grill has denied responsibility for the death of David Litsey Jr. in his answer to a civil lawsuit filed by Litsey’s father.

Litsey Jr., 22, died Nov. 9, 2012, after he was shot outside of the bar.

Christopher Gribbins, 46, of 821 Dangerfield Road in Hodgenville was indicted for murder in connection with Litsey Jr.’s death. According to court records, Gribbins was identified as discharging a firearm that resulted in Litsey Jr’s death.

Gribbins has entered a plea of not guilty to the murder charge.

David D. Litsey Sr. filed a civil complaint July 24 in Marion Circuit Court against Gribbins and the Raywick Bar and Grill.

The complaint notes that Litsey Sr. is the administrator of his son’s estate, and it reads that Gribbins caused Litsey Jr.’s death as the result of willful action, negligence or gross negligence.

Litsey Sr. is seeking a trial by jury, monetary and punitive damages against Gribbins, attorney fees and costs. Attorney Dawn Spalding of Lebanon is representing Litsey Sr. in this case.

Gribbins’ answer to the complaint was filed Aug. 13. In this answer, he argues that Litsey Jr’s injuries were caused or brought about by his own negligence or by third parties over which Gribbins had no control.

According to his answer, Gribbins is seeking to have the complaint dismissed, reimbursement for his costs (including attorney fees), and a trial by jury. Attorneys Charles Cassis and Aaron Stilletto of Prospect are representing Gribbins in the civil case.

Gribbins and another man, Michael Gibson, 49, of 209 Broadway in Raywick were both indicted on charges of second-degree assault stemming from an incident the same night that Litsey Jr. died.

The court records read that Gribbins and Gibson both caused physical injury to Phillip J. Franklin, 22, of Springfield by hitting him with a pistol.
Gibson was further charged with terroristic threatening for threatening to kill Franklin, according to the court records.

Gribbins and Gibson have pled not guilty to those charges as well.

Gribbins is being held without bond in the Marion County Detention Center. Gibson was released on a $20,000 in November of 2012.