4-H Record Sheets due

-A A +A
By Misty Wilmoth

 The 4-H year runs from Sept. 1 through Aug. 31. With the end of the 2011-12 4-H Year, it’s now time for 4-H members to submit their 4-H Awards Point System Record Sheets.

Record Sheets are simply a record of the 4-H activities or events a particular member has participated in during the past year. Points are assigned for various events, depending on the level of participation. 

Cloverbuds are eligible to submit a record form as well in order to receive recognition. Cloverbuds are ages 5 to 8.

4-H members earn points by participating in 4-H events and activities throughout the year. Members then submit a record of the points they have earned, in order to be eligible for 4-H Points Awards to be presented on Dec. 3 at the annual 4-H awards banquet.

At the banquet, 4-H members earn a variety of awards ranging from 4-H caps and T-shirts to trophies and plaques. Everyone who submits a record sheet will be recognized. In addition, point levels for further recognition are:  200, 350, 500, 750, 1,000 and 1,500 and above. 

The point system is also used to name the Outstanding Junior and Senior 4-H Members each year. The Junior and Senior level member with the most points will be awarded with this top honor. However, any member who has previously won this honor will be eligible to earn levels including Bronze, Silver and Gold. Junior members are ages 9 to 13 as of Jan. 1, 2012. Senior members are ages 14 to 18 as of Jan. 1, 2012.

Each year the LaRue County 4-H Council awards a $500 scholarship to a graduating member who will be attending college or a technical school. The scholarship selection takes into consideration the 4-H Points accumulated by the applicants during the past few years. 

A list of point values and the record sheets are available at the Extension Office and also on the LaRue County 4-H website at http://ces.ca.uky.edu/larue/4HYouthDevelopment. From the left column, click on “Awards Point System.” 

4-H members, please be sure to submit your record sheet in order to receive the recognition you have earned. Record Sheets must be submitted to the Extension Office by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 28. Call the Extension Office at 358-3401 if you have questions while completing the form, or if you are unsure whether or not an activity should be counted.